Thanks everyone June’s meeting was another great one…lots of laughs!
Grelfie was taken and is coming!
What have the Scifantorites been up to recently…
Brett and David have booked holidays for this coming August and December.
Zane said that he was going to change his author name from Zane Owen Yates to Zane Yates. Now that Zane is happy to come out of the writing closet and own up to his writing. He intends to edit and select new book covers for Book 1 and 2 of his Miami PI series and then re-release them when Book 3 is ready – around Christmas 2015.
Adriana went to the June Book Clinic run by the Gold Coast Library. This month’s topic was Talking about Dialogue.
We had a discussion today about using dashes in your writing. I have to admit I did not know that the different dashes actually have different names. David provided the terminology; ‘Em dash’ and ‘En dash’. And as usual I turned to Wikipedia for a more in depth article on why dashes are named and on when the different dashes should be used.
Other snippets of information that I gathered at June’s Book Clinic that came up for discussion today (please note that I don’t necessarily believe in each of these statements but am just reporting)…
- Decide early on whether you are writing Commercial fiction or Literary fiction. A simple breakdown between the two is…
- Commercial fiction is to entertain
- Literary fiction is to challenge
- Don’t pitch your manuscript to traditional publishers until it is finished
- Things not to have in your manuscript – for various reasons e.g. might throw the reader out of the story
- Using double quotes instead of single quotes
- Using words that might not be as widely used today e.g. pugilist instead of boxer
- Using dialect
- Use a ‘serif’ font to help make your manuscript easier to read
- Traditional publishers are looking for YA manuscript of up to 80,000 words
- Traditional publishers are looking for adult manuscripts of between 90,000 and 120,000 words
What have the Scifantorites been reading…
Shelf Ice (Ray Elkins Thriller Series) by Aaron Stander
What have the Scifantorites been watching…
Hemlock Grove aired in 2013 and is a horror, thriller, drama, supernatural drama, mystery series. There have been 2 seasons.
Sense8 aired in 2015 and is a science fiction, drama series. This is season 1. It was created/written/directed by the Wachowskis.
Jordskott is a Swedish TV series. It was aired in 2015 and this is season 1.
Darknet aired in 2015 and is a horror series. This is season 1.
DIG aired in 2015 and is an action, adventure, drama series. This is season 1.
Psychoville was aired between 2009-20122 and is a sit-com, dark comedy, mystery, psychological thriller series. It ran for 2 seasons.
Authors Anonymous is a comedy released in 2014, It was directed by Ellie Kanner.
The Counseler is a crime thriller released in 2013. It was directed by Ridley Scott.
The Intouchables is a comedy-drama released in 2011.
Brazil was released in 1985 and is best described by Sarah Street from British National Cinema as fantasy/satire on bureaucratic society.
Delicatessen is a post-apocalyptic film released in 1991
Eisenstein in Guanajuato is a drama film released in 2015. It is directed by Peter Greenaway.
This month’s Micro Fiction theme was “Shadows or Birthdays or Birthday shadows or shadowy Birthdays”.
Next month’s Micro Fiction theme is “Renewal”
Next month’s meeting is at 9.30am on Sunday 19th July, and if you want breakfast come at 9am.
Have a good month everyone!